Monday, April 17, 2006

Emergency Salad

10pm, arriving at home, hungry, didn't go buy any groceries... i'm sure you know the scenario. For me, those are the times when some interesting things happen (sometimes). Looking into the fridge, I tried to think about what I could make, quickly, with whatever ingredients I had. This turned out really good! And it was ready within 10 minutes.



Ingredients:

1 cup of pasta (I had two different kinds of small leftovers which I used)
a few lettuce leaves (torn into smaller pieces)
1-2 tablespoons pickled japanese ginger (beni shoga) (could be replaced with any other pickled ingredient, like pickled cucumber or onions, should be nice and sour though. Surfas carries something similar.)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise (good quality, I had french imported one from Surfas)
2 tablespoons sour cream
1-2 tablespoons apple cider (depending how sour you like your dressing)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
freshly ground pepper


Instructions:

Boil the pasta in salted water until al-dente. Drain it and cool it in a strainer under cold water.

Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl. Add lettuce leaves and pasta, stir well. Serve with a slice of bread. I had one more slice of pumpernickel leftover, which I used. Here's another recipe I used pumpernickel with.

2 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I am Yoko's old friend, another Yoko (I met you guys at Kimiyo's Christmas party last year). This is my first time tried out your recipe. Oh my gash, this recipe was very simple and requires only small number of ingredients, but I was shocked how good it tastes!!! Well, I just wanted to thank you for making my lunch so satisfying!

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Yoko, very glad to hear from you! you probably had some of that japanese pickled ginger already at home anyway :-) thanks for reading and i hope you'll comment again in the future.
dan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home